- 12 tablespoons salted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pure almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (almond flour or gluten free works well too)
- 1/2 cup jam (about half a jar of Spoon Preserves or a full jar of Cutting Preserves)
- 1/3 cup salted sliced almonds or chopped nuts of choice (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla & almond extract, and salt and mix just until smooth. Scrape down the bowl, add the flour, and mix on low speed until the dough just comes together.
2. Remove 1/2 cup of the dough and set aside in refrigerator. Press the remaining dough (with lightly floured fingertips) evenly into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan or tart pan.
3. Spread the jam over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Remove the remaining dough from the refrigerator and crumble it evenly over the jam. Sprinkle the almonds or nuts evenly over the top.
4. Bake until light golden brown, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before removing the pan sides. With a sharp knife, cut the tart into 8- 10 wedges and serve.