Pink Bartlett Bite Radicchio Bites
Yield: 30-40 bites
- 1 small head radicchio, about 5” diameter, quartered
- 1 8oz log goat cheese, at room temperature
- 1 jar Girl Meets Dirt Pink Bartlett Cutting Preserve
- 30-40 whole pink peppercorns plus 1 tsp. coarsely ground (with mortar & pestle or in spice grinder)
- 2 small shallots, peeled
- Vegetable oil (for frying; about ½ cup)
- Kosher salt
Prepare crispy shallots (can be made 5 days ahead). Set a fine-mesh strainer over a medium heatproof bowl. Thinly slice shallots crosswise into rings on a mandoline.
Place shallots in a medium saucepan and pour in oil to submerge. Set over medium-low heat and cook, stirring often with a fork to encourage rings to separate, until shallots are golden brown, 20–25 minutes. (Keep an eye on them; once they start to brown they’ll darken fast.)
Pour shallots into strainer to drain, then transfer to paper towels. Season with salt and let cool. Reserve shallot oil for another use, like vinaigrettes, stir-fries, and soups.
Whip goat cheese over medium speed for several minutes in a stand mixer with 1 teaspoon ground pink peppercorns. Set aside.
Cut out white core from radicchio quarters and separate leaves (each leaf will be a bite and sizes will vary).
Arrange radicchio on a platter or grazing board.
Spoon about 1 teaspoon of pink peppercorn whipped goat cheese onto each radicchio leaf. Top with ½ teaspoon Pink Bartlett Cutting Preserve. Sprinkle with 2-3 crispy shallots. Top with a single pink peppercorn. Can be refrigerated up to one day in advance. Allow to come to room temperature prior to serving.
- 12, 8oz packs goat cheese (Vermont Creamery, Cypress Grove, Saltspring island ? any WA?)
- 10, 5” diameter radicchio
- 6 teaspoons ground pink peppercorn
- 500 pink peppercorns
- 16 shallots
- 2, ½ gallons pink Bartlett