Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (vegetable oil works as well)
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour milk (to sour milk, add 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar to 1/2 cup milk and set at room temperature for 15-20 minutes)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I have also used whole wheat pastry flour with good results)
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup good quality chocolate chips, chunks, or shavings
- Island Plum Spoon Preserves and whipped cream for serving.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the middle. Combine the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the vanilla & almond extract, and salt and mix just until smooth. Scrape down the bowl, add the flour, and mix on low speed until the dough just comes together.
3. Remove 1/2 cup of the dough and set aside in refrigerator. Press the remaining dough (with lightly floured fingertips) evenly into the bottom of a 10-inch springform pan or tart pan.
4. Spread the jam over the dough, leaving a 1-inch border. Remove the remaining dough from the refrigerator and crumble it evenly over the jam. Sprinkle the almonds or nuts evenly over the top.
5. Bake until light golden brown, about 50 minutes. Allow to cool to room temperature before removing the pan sides. With a sharp knife, cut the tart into 8- 10 wedges and serve.