Chocolate Zucchini Cake
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (vegetable oil works as well)
- 1 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sour milk (to sour milk, add 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar to 1/2 cup milk and set at room temperature for 15-20 minutes)
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I have also used whole wheat pastry flour with good results)
- 4 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or raw cacao
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup good quality chocolate chips, chunks, or shavings
- Island Plum Spoon Preserves and whipped cream for serving.
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2. Cream the first 3 ingredients in a mixing bowl. Scrape down the bowl, add the next 3 ingredients.
3. Mix dry ingredients together in a separate bowl and then combine with the creamed mixture. Stir in zucchini.
4. Pour into a buttered and floured bundt pan. If adding chocolate chips, sprinkle on bottom and top.
5. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool on a rack. Invert once cooled. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve with whipped cream or ice cream and a dollop of Island Plum Spoon Preserves (or your favorite Girl Meets Dirt jam)